Learn and Grow
First Unitarian Society offers feature provocative and stimulating speakers engaged in important community issues and contemporary ideas. A “First Hour” event is offered first Sundays from September through May at 9:30.
Drop-in programming, Sundays at 9:30am at the Society:
- April 2 — “Insist, Resist, Persist.” R.T. Rybak will discuss how, when he was mayor, Unitarian Universalists were usually the first group he went to for community engagement. Former Executive Director of Generation Next and former mayor of Minneapolis, Rybak is currently President and CEO of The Minneapolis Foundation.
April 9 Rev. David on Phil Zuckerman’s “Living the Secular Life” (see FUS-U listing)
April 16 Social Justice Roundtable with Rev. Kelli Clement. The REAL work: Racial Equity Action and Learning.
April 23 “Move Upstream: A Call to Solve Overpopulation” with Dr. Karen Shragg
April 30 Fifth Sunday Mindfulness: meditation and relaxation techniques from a secular perspective.
Recent programs have included:
- “Foreign Policy Under the Trump Administration” with Ann Wright, retired diplomat and Colonel in the U.S. Army.
- “How to Sue the President in 3 Easy Steps.” Hear the story of an Iranian couple who got caught in the chaos of the travel ban and their legal fight to be reunited in Minnesota.
- “Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System in the News” with MPR Reporter Brandt Williams
- “Together We Can Make it Okay” with Bruce Ario from NAMI Minnesota and the FUS Mental Health Awareness Team
Upcoming Upper Assembly Talks
Sundays at 10:30 am in the Upper Assembly Hall.April 2 “Creativity and Dreams” with Rev. Dr. David BreedenApril 9 “Creativity and Nightmares” with Rev. Dr. David BreedenApril 16 “Resurrect Yourself” with Rev. Jim FotiApril 23 “Creativity and the Art of Life” with Rev. Dr. David BreedenApril 30 “Creations of the Mind: What the Neuroscience of Spirituality Might Have to Say to Humanists” with Rev. Kelli Clement
First Hour programs and Sunday talks also are listed with other activities at the Society at http://firstunitarian.org/upcoming-events/