- See Social Justice page for more activities
- See Shared Interest page for social events
- See Adult Education page for talks, books and other group activities
Upper Assembly Talks, 10:30 Sunday
September 17 — “If These Walls Could Talk” with Rev. Jim Foti and special musical guest Peter Mayer! Social Hour: Take a building tour and enjoy food along the way. Kids will go on a scavenger hunt! Looking Ahead with Senior Minister Rev. Dr. David Breeden, Upper Assembly Hall: As part of our renovation celebration, Rev. David will offer his thoughts on the new program year and answer questions from members. Stop in for a look into the future!
September 24 — Fall Equinox Celebration with the FUS Seasonal Celebrations team and “Balance in an Unbalanced Age” with Rev. Dr. David Breeden. Join us for this celebration of all things autumnal! We will usher in the fall season with pageantry, including our traditional kids’ procession, poetry, and music by the FUS house band, The Eclectics. In gratitude for the abundance of harvest time, and in recognizing the attacks on Minnesota’s Muslim community, we will collect non-perishable food items for the food shelf at the Masjid An-Nur mosque (please, no pork products).
A “First Hour” event is offered first Sundays from September through May at 9:30am in the Dietrich Room.
Past programs have included:
- “Journalism: Fact and Fiction Colliding” featuring Kim Ode, Staff Writer at the Star Tribune (aka, “Enemy of the People?”).
- “Insist, Resist, Persist.” R.T. Rybak discussed how, when he was mayor, Unitarian Universalists were usually the first group he went to for community engagement.
- “Foreign Policy Under the Trump Administration” with Ann Wright, retired diplomat and Colonel in the U.S. Army.
- “How to Sue the President in 3 Easy Steps.” Hear the story of an Iranian couple who got caught in the chaos of the travel ban and their legal fight to be reunited in Minnesota.
- “Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System in the News” with MPR Reporter Brandt Williams
- “Together We Can Make it Okay” with Bruce Ario from NAMI Minnesota and the FUS Mental Health Awareness Team
First Hour programs and Sunday talks also are listed with other activities at the Society at http://firstunitarian.org/upcoming-events/