POSITION TITLE: Childcare Provider
POSITION TYPE: Part-time, flexible schedule
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-exempt
POSITION PURPOSE: Provide a safe, welcoming, developmentally appropriate care for infants and toddlers during Sunday Assemblies, and supervision/care for children of various ages during other congregation activities, including but not limited to meetings, classes, and special all-congregation events. Ensure a safe environment for children and allow parents and guardians to participate fully in congregational life.
REPORTS TO: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
HOURS, COMPENSATION, BENEFITS:
- This position requires 2 hours a week on Sunday morning (10:15 – 12:15) year round, plus potential longer hours on some Sundays and other times as arranged with supervisor, sometimes in consultation with staff, committees or teams who need childcare to support a congregational event.
- $20/hr. Pay and benefits are determined on a yearly basis according to congregation personnel policies
- In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES: The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. However, these statements are not exhaustive and cannot anticipate all possible duties and requirements which may arise.
Infant/Toddler Care and Various Age Childcare
- Provide care for infants, toddlers, and youth up to Kindergarten in the nursery during Sunday morning Assemblies, with occasional inclusion of children up to 5th grade.
- Take attendance and ensure that parents/guardians sign children in and out of the nursery and complete visitor information. Consult with parents/guardians regarding the child’s health history, allergies, and any other concerns regarding the child’s wellbeing while in childcare.
- With regard to safety and discipline, caregivers will:
- Use positive language to direct or redirect children.
- Refrain from physical discipline or punishment.
- Maintain a space that is physically and emotionally safe for all children and caregivers.
- Communicate concerns, if any, to parents upon pick-up.
- Report concerns, problems, accidents, or suggestions to the Director of Religious Education (DRE) immediately.
- Pick-up toys and clean nursery space prior to departing; report any concerns to the DRE.
- Conduct classroom inventory checks and inform DRE when supplies/equipment are needed or are in disrepair.
- Provide supervision and care for children of various ages during congregation activities by arrangement
- Ensure that parents sign children in and out
- Ensure children have appropriate and safe toys and activities
- Facilitate and participate in age-appropriate activities with the children, such as games, roleplaying, reading and storytelling, songs and finger plays, or simple crafts.
- Assist children in attaining age-appropriate skills, such as self-care, care of belongings, manners, cooperation, and engaging in community.
- Collaborate with congregation staff in designing and implementing childcare and activities
- High school diploma; some college preferred (child development, education, or a related field)
- CPR and First Aid certification is recommended
- Experience caring for and leading activities with infants, toddlers, and children
- Familiarity and comfort with Unitarian Universalism and Humanism is recommended.
- Physical strength and agility to provide care for children
- Understanding of child development and age appropriate activities
- Knowledge of basics of child safety and welfare
- Well organized and reliable
- Ability to work effectively with other staff
- Tactful and mature with a good sense of humor
- General understanding of and openness to Unitarian Universalist and Humanist principles and philosophies
- This is a responsible position, requiring the ability and willingness to maintain a regular work schedule and notify your supervisor in a timely manner if unable to work as scheduled.
- This position requires work on Sunday and occasional work at other times by arrangement.
- The successful candidate is required to have a background check.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following with reasonable accommodations made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or listen.
- The Childcare Provider is supervised by the Director of Religious Education.
How to Apply: