Each year, Foundation of the First Unitarian Society awards grants to local non-profits from the Kurt Pearson Social Concerns Fund. The Fund was established in 1992 in Kurt’s honor by his parents.
The Directors of the Foundation announced the following recipients for 2020:
- Families Supporting Families Against Police Violence, to develop programing to transform anger, trauma, fear, mistrust, and hopelessness into healing and action. Organizing direct action, hosting memorials.
- Project Power of Anoka-Hennepin Community Education, to create home art kits and staff online instruction.
- Ujamaa Place, to support transformation program addressing education, housing, employment and wellness needs.
- Veterans Resilience Project, to Increase outreach to veterans and service providers.
- Walk-in Counseling Center, to provide free mental health counseling for individuals who cannot afford it.